Thursday 18 August 2011

Adult supervison required.

So I have somehow allowed myself to increase the number of books I need to read.
It was a lovely, sunny Saturday morning and I had just found out that I had money in my account and a Waterstones not 20 minutes walk away from me that was, conveniently, holding a 3 for 2 offer on all fiction books - now, if you know me well, you know where this is going.

I went in with the sole purpose of looking for some Jo Nesbo books when, lo and behold, there were pink stickers on EVERYTHING and all Jo Nesbo books on a table right as you entered the door! Now, Jess had informed me that I HAD TO READ 'The Snowman', but there are 4 books that he wrote before that and, whether I need to read them in order or not, I felt I had to. So, that was 5 books I needed and just 1 more to round it up to 6 and get 6 for the price of 4 (I Know, it doesn't sound so good now, but at the time!). Unfortunately Waterstones must have been plotting against me because I happened to see the next two Ariana Franklin books and just couldn't say no to myself.

Let's sum up so far - that's 5 Jo Nesbo, 2 Ariana Franklin and I need to now add 2 more books to get to 9. Practically speaking I could've said 'But no, why not put the 3rd Franklin book  down and come back for it at a later date.' I could've said that... I didn't :S

So, back to the bookshelves for 2 more books to round up to 9. There, on a cardboard display shelf, hidden at the bottom with that lovely, promising, happy pink sticker on it's cover was... 'Rebellion' by James McGee! Oh joyous day, I've been wanting that book since I saw it in hardback form (this was paperback, but it's the contents that really matter). Now, I have a choice - keep the Nesbo books and McGee and put down Ms. Franklin's books or... get one more and struggle under the weight of all 9 when walking back home up a large hill on a hot day.

The books I finally walked home with - gasping for a cuppa the entire way - were:
Jo Nesbo - The Redbreast, Nemesis, The Devil's Star, The Redeemer, The Snowman.
James McGee - Rebellion.
Ariana Franklin - The Death Maze, Relics of the Dead.
Mark Billingham - Scaredy Cat (had watched the Sleeping Beauty show on TV, but wanted to read the book and round up ;P)

Now I just need to find the time to read them all. I think I've figured out why friends and family drag me AWAY from bookshops - I always give in to the happy stickers!

If you don't hear from me for a while - I'm holed up indoors with copious amounts of tea trying to get through the books!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have something to do now while sitting at home nursing your hand :)

Buzz_B said...

That is true, should be a good idea tbh :)